Location: San Francisco
Electrical Engineering Lead
Synapse Product Development utilizes the talents of an engaged, energetic, and excellence-focused team of engineers—bolstered by talented administrative and operational professionals—to collaborate on creative and innovative product development solutions for the world’s leading companies. Synapsters embrace the opportunity to work on a variety of challenging projects, find fun in solving hard problems with talented coworkers, and understand the value of cross-discipline collaboration to provide stellar client service. Synapse supports an environment of openness and trust where employees work hard to get the job done and still have time to maintain meaningful lives.
About Synapse’s San Francisco Office
In the heart of the SOMA district lies Synapse SF, a tight-knit group of product developers focused on tackling the latest engineering challenges. Synapsters get down to business on our open design floor, build and test cool things in the lab spaces, and discuss ideas over coffee in the kitchen. We stay even more connected with our Seattle counterparts through a 24-hour video link in the kitchen - classic telephone handset included. SF Synapsters build and maintain strong relationships by coming together in the upstairs loft for the weekly, catered, Wednesday Lunch and by organizing regular Thursday Actives like painting, pottery, and hiking to bond with the team.
As an EE Technical Lead, you will lead a small team of electrical engineers working on a project. You will work with the project manager and other discipline Technical Leads to plan and prioritize work, and you will communicate directly with clients.
As an electrical engineer at Synapse, you can expect to make valuable contributions within a multidisciplinary team to help conceive and design solutions for our clients’ project needs. We follow a risk mitigation approach where you and your project team will identify project risks and devise mitigation strategies. For especially challenging risks, you’ll participate in cross disciplinary brainstorms to come up with creative potential solutions.
As you progress through project phases, you’ll move from early systems architecture, power budget development, and PCB prototyping, on to a mature design that’s ready for production manufacturing, assembly, and testing. Throughout the process you will have opportunities to communicate directly with clients and vendors while working collaboratively with our Mechanical, Firmware and Systems engineers.
You will support the engineering, design, and business teams in analyzing the tradeoffs to decide which potential solutions to further investigate and implement. Further investigation could involve modelling, simulation, prototyping, and testing. You’ll have the opportunity to conduct detailed circuit design and analysis, including schematic design and simulation. You’ll oversee PCB layout in cooperation with our in-house PCB design team, and then you’ll work with contract manufacturers to have the PCB fabricated and assembled. Upon receiving an assembled design, you’ll perform initial electronics bring-up, functional verification, and debugging according to the test plans you helped create.
The dynamics of this role present the successful candidate with opportunities to grow their technical and consulting skills, while working with a multidisciplinary team to bring successful products to market.
- 8+ years of experience architecting and implementing embedded systems hardware
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and a desire to work in multidisciplinary teams
- Experience driving decision making or leading problem solving efforts
- Experience or Interest in technical project planning and task delegation
- Significant hands on experience in hardware debug and verification
- Proven experience in schematic design, preferably in OrCAD Capture or Altium
- Experience managing PCB layout, preferably in Allegro/OrCAD PCB Designer or Altium
- The ability to keep calm and laugh even when things don’t go as planned
- Four-year degree in Electrical Engineering or related field; MS or PhD a plus
- Experience with or interest in any of the following technical areas: low power battery operated systems, mechatronics, high speed digital, precision sensors, RF/wireless.
- Experience or interest in high-volume consumer electronics and work with off-shore contract manufacturers
- Experience working and presenting in a consulting environment with external clients to find and deliver technical solutions
- Experience with or interest in contributing to prospective client meetings, which includes identifying core needs and tailoring a product development strategy for each client
Employees may need to travel in and out of country based on client and project needs up to two weeks at a time.
Synapse is an Equal Opportunity Employer (“EOE”). We value diversity and strive to promote an inclusive culture. We are committed to a work environment that respects and supports individuals and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.